Rainmark Logo

Catherine McGhie      778.817.1052

Why you need a lawyer, not a consultant

Catherine McGhie

Catherine McGhie attended law school at the University of British Columbia and graduated with an LL.B. in 2002. She completed her articles at a national law firm in Vancouver and was called to the bar of British Columbia in 2004. After a move to Ottawa, she was called to the bar of Ontario in 2005 and practised in the area of Wills and Estates law. She joined Stevenson, Luchies & Legh in 2019 and practises primarily in the area of immigration law at the Victoria office. She is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association. Whilst taking a sabbatical from the practice of law to concentrate on raising her children, Catherine volunteered with many children’s societies, including the locally run Story Studio Writing Society which engages children in creative writing. She also spent 6 months in France with her family where she immersed herself in the culture and language of France. She continued her studies on her return to Canada and received her diploma in French from the University of Victoria in April 2019. In her spare time, Catherine enjoys hiking, swimming and skiing, and is an avid spectator of her daughter’s dance shows and her sons’ baseball games. Just don’t ask her to explain the infield fly rule. Learn More

Lawyer Photo

Applying for a Study or Work Visa?

Increase your chances of a successful
application, watch this video


Vancouver Immigration Lawyer
Switch option icon
Change City


Immigration Lawyer

Switch option icon
Change City

Catherine McGhie

103, 2849 Peatt Road



Lawyer Photo

Visa Applications Can Be Tricky

Let Our Lawyers help you today!

Studying or working in Canada has the potential to be a life-changing opportunity. Securing the assistance of a professional before you apply for your study or work visa will maximize the chance of your application being accepted. Our lawyers can review your application and walk you through every step of the process to make sure that nothing is missed. We can also act as the authorized representative on your file in order to facilitate the application process.

Canadian immigration laws, regulations and procedures change all the time. The Canadian government will not notify you of a change, even if it will directly affect your application; your experienced immigration lawyer will.

It will cost money to hire an experienced immigration lawyer. But it will be money well spent, especially when you consider the possible ramifications of making a mistake on your application. Don’t leave your future to chance. Make sure that you have a professional looking out for your best interests.

You need an immigration lawyer, not a consultant. Here’s why.

You may have heard that an immigration consultant can help you file your application for a reduced fee. Immigration consultants often charge less for their services than experienced immigration lawyers because they have less to offer. Hiring an immigration consultant can be perilous. In Canada, immigration consultants:

  • Do not have to undergo legal training.
  • Do not necessarily understand the complexities of Canadian immigration laws.
  • May or may not be certified by the organization that governs immigration consultants in Canada.
  • Have claimed to be immigration experts even if they have no experience with more complicated immigration files or applications.
  • Have defrauded prospective immigrants by charging exorbitant fees and simply telling the clients that their applications were refused when, in fact, the applications were never even filed.

Don’t risk your immigration goals by hiring someone who may not have the knowledge and experience to get the job done. Get the peace of mind you deserve! Our immigration lawyers will help you to prepare your best possible application, maximizing your chances of success.

Get the facts about a Canadian study visa.

Foreign nationals who want to study at a Canadian educational institution for more than six months require a study visa or "study permit". In order to qualify for a study permit, you must provide proper documentation. Call us, learn what documentation you need, and we'll make certain that it's done correctly.

The time to process a study permit can vary, depending on whether you apply online or by mail. There is a fee of $150 to apply for a study permit.

Our experienced immigration lawyers can review your application and let you know if you qualify for a study permit, if your application contains all the relevant information and whether your application is relevant to your area of study.

Our lawyers will ensure that you have the proper visas in place so that you can start and complete your educational program without interruption.

Do I need a Canadian work visa?

Foreign nationals must secure a work visa, or "work permit" to work in Canada. There are a number of different work permits that are available to foreign nationals wishing to work in Canada. Our lawyers can help you determine if you will qualify for a work permit and ensure that your application has the highest possible chance of succeeding.

There are a number of factors that will affect whether you will qualify for a work visa as a temporary employee. In most cases, your employer will need to secure a Labour Market Impact Assessment demonstrating that your services are needed to fill a specific role that cannot be easily filled by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Our lawyers can help you determine if the position you are seeking is Labour Market Impact Assessment exempt, or alternatively, we can provide you with strategies for creating effective Labour Market Impact Assessments.

Depending on the type of work you are planning to do in Canada, you may also require a medical examination by a government-approved physician.

Self-employed individuals, entrepreneurs and investors (Business Class Permit): There are a variety of programs available to foreign nationals seeking to invest money or do business in Canada. The Immigrant Investor Program requires the applicant to prove that they have business experience, a net worth of at least the equivalent of $1.6 million in Canadian currency and the intention of investing at least $800,000 in Canada.

A start-up visa may be available to a foreign national seeking to start a new business in Canada.

The Self-Employed Persons Program may supply a work visa to a foreign national with farming experience and the intention of buying land in Canada to farm. Those in the athletic or cultural fields may also qualify for a work visa under this program.

Many people who attempt to navigate the Canadian immigration system without a lawyer end up having their applications denied. If you are serious about studying or working in Canada, spending the money to hire an immigration lawyer is the best step that you can take to ensure a successful application

Back to Top